Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The House at Riverton by Kate Morton

I loved this book!!  It is told from the servants point of view and you got a feel for the whole family through them.  It never ceases to amaze me what servants and lady's maids did for their employers and how snooty and uncaring the employers could be.  This took place in the early 1900's.  There was much family tragedy and cover up and also glamor and parties, gossip, cheating and adjusting to changing times.  I know that there is a part of most of us who think the rich have it all and have nothing to worry about.  What I noticed in this book, and can't help but put in place today, it the mental unrest and drama that they live in.  What does this person think, what should I wear to this... things were all critically thought out at the time and I wonder how much fun was actually had.  The book was beautifully written, I laughed and even cried in the end.  I really felt a part of the story and got just as stressed as the characters and servants did.  It was a fascinating time and was portrayed very well through out the novel.

No comments: