Sunday, March 24, 2013

Time is a River by Mary Alice Monroe

Fly fishing.  Not something that I have ever really thought about doing.  I don't really even enjoy regular fishing.  Here it was used as a form of therapy.  At first, for Mia, who was recovering from breast cancer.  It then turned into dealing with a failing marriage and learning who she really was again.  The other part of the book was about a girl, Kate, who grew up in the cabin in which Mia was staying for the summer.  It was Kate's rich, stormy history and love of nature and the outdoors that helped Mia find strength in body and self.  Mia also helped the town heal and learn the truth about a much loved member of their community, Kate.  When I told Terry I finished the book he asked me what I got out of it.  I would have to say that there is a strength within us that is stronger than what we know and we have to believe in it and trust it.  I was sad to have this book end because Monroe took me into this town and these people and I did not want to leave, it felt like a place I could call home.

No comments: