Thursday, April 1, 2021

Buddha's Book of Sleep by Joseph Emet

 



Subtitle: Sleep Better in Seven Weeks with Mindfulness Meditation

I love it when I get a good nights sleep. A sleep in which I don't remember waking up for several hours. I am not talking all night long, but at least five to six hours. It is wonderful and it does not happen often enough.

This book talks about what happens when we go to bed, how our minds prevent us from falling asleep, how our world prevents us from sleeping well. There is so much that contributes to a being able to sleep, and maybe we need to reframe in our minds what a good nights sleep is.

I have not done the mediations yet but there are a few that look really interesting and am looking forward to trying them out. I have already worked on some things that seem to help me when it comes to falling asleep. I am off any electronic device an hour before bed, I journal right when I get into bed, and then I read. Most times a book, but sometimes a magazine. The last thing I do, when I finish reading, is breath. I concentrate on my breath so that is the only thing that is happening. There are many times that I do not even remember falling asleep. It is amazing. I have also found when I wake in the middle of the night and can't seem to fall back to sleep I go back to breathing and can sleep again.

Sleep is so vital to how we function, not only with other people and our jobs, but how our body functions. Our bodies need time to recover and recoup and heal overnight. Good sleep is just as important as exercise and eating a balanced diet. I think we sometimes forget that and then we stress about it and it all turns into a viscous circle. 

Sleep. Don't fight it. Don't stress over it. Just let it happen and you will feel so much better.

No comments: