Friday, January 8, 2021

Dewey's Nine Lives by Vicki Myron with Bret Witter

 Subtitle: The Legacy of the Small-town Library Cat Who Inspired Millions

If you have not read Dewey I highly recommend that you do. It is not necessary if you want to read this book, but it is well worth the read.

There is a wonderful partnership between Myron and Witter and when you sit down to read these books it feels like they are there tell you their stories. In this book we not only learned more about Dewey and how he touched so many lives but also about other cats that have had huge impacts on their owners.

In so many of the stories the cats are true confidants, they are there for the owner. They are there to listen and to comfort, to protect and be an ally. If you have never had a pet it may be hard to understand. But if you have been a pet owner you know what it is like to have an animal love you unconditionally. To have a live creature there to pour your heart out to and just sit there and listen. To have an animal that will just love you for who you are and help you grow into a stronger and more confidant human being.

In this book cats help fill the void of not being able to have children, of moving someplace new and knowing no one, of helping you through a tough time when you didn't even really know you needed help. Cats have always been considered stand-offish, but I think they are always there for you.

The last cat that I had was not a cuddler. She would be in the same room with you but she was very independent. She loved to bring me 'gifts' and learned to leave them at the door after I thanked her. The one thing she would do is cuddle me when I was not feeling well. She didn't leave my side, but once I was feeling better she was off.

Pets know how to take care of their owners and they are a wonderful addition to the family if is is a viable option. I am so thankful for the pets that I have had over the years and am looking forward to having one again (once I settle down, haha).

No comments: