Monday, February 16, 2015

Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi

This was for my world literature challenge.  This was a book I had on the shelf for many years and am glad that I have finally gotten around to reading it.  Not really what I was expecting, but interesting nonetheless.  It starts and ends with a reading group that Nafisi started with some girls from the college where she taught.  They read all forms of literature and talked about the parallels in fiction to their lives in Iran.  In the middle we learned more about what was going on in Iran, how the regime was constantly changing, the morality police and so much more; I found it amazing on how they lived.  For many there was a pride of country and religion, but for many others it was oppressive and they were constantly trying to buck the system.  It was very eye opening for me, learning more about Iran and it's history.  I truly do not know how people can live that way.

No comments: