Tuesday, August 31, 2010

A Thousand Splended Suns by Khaled Hosseini

This book was a little harder for me to get into than 'The Kite Runner'. It is about two women and their struggles before and during the wars in Afghanistan and the surrounding areas. The brutality and torture, the rules and hardships are pretty hard to take. There is a part of my brain that has a hard time believing that there are places like this that treat people this way. Both of the women in this story are very strong and you have to admire how they get along and continue. I don't know how I would be in the situations that they were in and can only hope that I could be half a strong as they were. -- In reading both of Housseini's books it makes me want to learn more about that part of the country. How it got the way it is, how people live and what they feel their future is. It is a totally different culture and way of life that is so far outside of what I know it is hard to get these attitudes and behaviors to sink in that people really do live that way.

No comments: