Thursday, November 12, 2009

Keep Australia on your Left by Eric Stiller

Sub-title: An Attempt to Circumnavigate Australia by Kayak --- Well, it was an attempt and a long one at that. It took me forever to get through this book. It is pretty bad when you keep checking to see when the chapter ends or how many more pages in the book there are to go. As much as I love travel narratives this just did not do it for me. Stiller was quite a whiner and complainer and very wordy. This is a trip I would never even attempt and for them to try I have to applaud them, yet I have never understood why people put themselves through this extreme type of event. It is a very brutal place to go out in a kayak and bob around. The weather is extreme and not always knowing where the night would end gets to be a bit much. There was tension between the two and if Stiller would have gotten off of his high horse things may have gone a bit smoother. Needless to say, I am glad I read the book, but am very glad it is over.

No comments: