Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Little Big Year by Richard Wayne MacDonald

 


Subtitle: Chasing Acadia's Birds - What an enjoyable book. All of you know I love birds and bird watching. It can be frustrating, but when you accomplish an identification or learn a bird song it is pretty awesome.

I should say that I know the author and he is very enthusiastic about nature and birds so while I was reading this I could hear him reading it to me. I could feel his excitement and see the joy on his face.

He spent 2018 looking for, following, and chasing birds around Hancock County, Maine. If you don't know what a big year is here is a quick description. Within a calendar year you try to see as many birds as you can. You can pick the area that you want and go from there. In 2018 Terry and I did our big birding trip out west and that was the start of my big year(in the end we identified 278 birds). You could use your state, a park, even your backyard. Whatever gets you out in nature and looking at birds is a win win.

Through his adventures you not only learn about the birds in Hancock County, you learn about nature and ecology and history. This was very well written and even if you are not a "bird nerd" you will enjoy the enthusiasm he shares with his love of the outdoors.

No comments: