Monday, February 13, 2017

The Firecracker Boys by Dan O'Neill

Subtitle: H-bombs, Inupiat Eskimos,  and the Roots of the Environmental  Movement -- Well, this was an interesting one. When I do an alphabet challenge I read books that I would usually pass over.  I am trying to clean up our book shelves and this fit for my "F" book.  Overall it was an interesting, depressing, frustrating  and educational  book.  The idea was to learn how to use nuclear power in a peaceful way.  What amazed me was the lack of concern for the environment and people.  Scientists and the government would tell people what they wanted to hear, but not the truth.  Alaska, where this controversy started,  was thought to be a waste land, not a place rich with people and history and an abundance of nature vital to many.  If you can get through the poor writing and disconectedness of the O'Neill'so thoughts and ability to put things together you will get an eye opening. I am glad I read the book, and very glad that it is over.

No comments: