Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Reader by Bernhard Schlink

I saw the movie first.  I am always skeptical about books turned into movies, so reading this now I was not sure what to expect.  I was happy that the movie really did follow the book.  A boy gets sick on the way home and a woman takes care of him.  This leads to a relationship through some of his teen years and then abruptly ends.  The next time he sees her he is in college and she is at trial for things done during the war.  The characters are very well developed and move through time in a way that you don't feel like you miss anything.  It is hard during the trial to think of things that happened in Germany and you question your knowledge and thoughts on that time period.  I am glad that I took the time to read the book, it gives you a deeper connection to the story over the movie.

No comments: