Sunday, January 8, 2012

Cape Cod by Henry David Thoreau

I seem to be drawn, at times, to books about the sea and nature.  I was able to get this on my NOOK and it took me a while to get through it.  He and a friend walked Cape Cod all the way to Provincetown.  He talks about the winds and the sand and how unforgiving it can be.  There were many ship wrecks in this area and I found it fascinating how the people living there survived off these wrecks.  They would gather the lumber, sails and even salvage plants and fruit trees.  You had to be a certain type of person to survive on the Cape back in the 1800's.  He gave a lot of history about the area and how things came to be.  It was interesting, but I am really not a good history person.  What grabbed me the most was his descriptions.  He was able to make things so vivid I could feel myself walking along the beach or through the towns or the beach grass.  The colors were vibrant and fresh.  He gave a really good picture of how things were back then and I am very thankful that he did.

No comments: