Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Women of the Silk by Gail Tsukiyama

I am fascinated by this type of historical fiction. The culture and traditions of the Chinese are really amazing to me. This is about a girl who was sent to work in the silk factory and her journey. Her family had not been doing well and her father took her to a fortune teller and it led her into this work. She had to move to a large city, live with girls and women she did not know and learn a trade that was totally foreign to her. She made friends and worked her way up in the industry and learned much about herself and the world around her. Tsukiyama did a wonderful job laying the story out and I really did not want to stop reading. I was drawn into the era and could not imagine anything like it, still can't. I don't know what it is about these types of books, but I just love them. I love learning about a different time that is so far removed from me and this was done beautifully.

No comments: