Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Peony in Love by Lisa See

When I started reading this I was having a hard time getting into it. It was not flowing well for me. But slowly See pulled me in and I could not believe the words that were unfolding in front of me. She has a way of weaving a story that leaves you wanting more. -- I have always enjoyed historical fiction and reading about China and the way things were is totally amazing to me and also hard to believe. How families were set up, how girls were treated, foot binding, arranged marriages, the strictness of behavior. But also the mystical beliefs, rituals that were followed and the fear of the other world is just awing to me. -- This was a story of a girl who experiences love sickness and what it does to her. In turn it affects many people down the line in the way they live and the guilt and regrets they experience. It is a beautiful story.

No comments: