Monday, April 12, 2010

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

There are many reviews on the front and back of the book. "Powerful... Haunting" "Extraordinary" "Riveting.... Unforgettable" I have to agree with all of these. I found it to be a very hard book to read for the subject matter. The book started in Afghanistan with a young boy and followed his life into adulthood. He lead a very easy life and did not always appreciate it or treat those who took care of him well. You watched him grow and deal with the consequences of his actions. I guess what was hard for me was how real it all felt knowing that it was fiction. Because of the wars going on now and hearing about it in the news for so long it was all the more real to read about. I know of the prejudices and conflicts that have been occurring for years and years and know that it will be going on for so many more. It all goes round and round and it never stops. As much as this was fiction you have to know that deep down things that happened in this book happen every day over there. I am glad I finally read the book and know that I will be thinking about it for a long time.

No comments: